What's new

Completed Fix the hit register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

Many users, myself included, have noted that the way this server registers shots is... strange, inaccurate, and frustrating. Even when users are standing still, headshots with a sniper are inconsistent and don't register as hits at all. Shotguns at point blank range can sometimes miss, deagle headshots register as normal damage, knives can make blood splatter but the victim just shrugs it off, and more.

I love this server and have a great time, but this really puts a damper on it sometimes and I wish it would be fixed.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
We run the Vanilla TTT gamemode though. In terms of the entire engine and gameplay there is 0 difference between playing on our servers, and loading up a single player game, spawning a bunch of bots, switching the gamemode to terrortown, and shooting at them. Hitreg honestly just feels terrible in any game running the same branch of the Source SDK as Garry's Mod. Hitscans are pinpoint and differences between client and server-side hitreg are abundant.

If you have a different experience with hitreg on other servers they are either not using the vanilla guns or you accidentally booted up the wrong game by mistake and aren't playing Garry's Mod.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
Also remember that all blood patterns are registered client-side, while all actual props and damage are registered server-side. That means that especially if you do not have a strong connection, you are going to see a LOT of 'that hit on my screen' moments, but even with a fairly strong connection you will still see them occasionally. Even a twentieth of a second can easily be the difference between a shot that connected on your screen, vs one that actually happened on the server.

One of the wonkier examples of this you can see sometimes is when you are holding a knife, and you get close to someone so you swing the knife, which is only supposed to happen when you successfully knife them, but it didn't actually register. That's because your client saw your location, and saw the other player's location as it interpreted it from the server, saw they were close enough, and executed the animation on your client, even though in reality on the server you may have been just a hair too far away.

This, again, is entirely within the engine that Garry's Mod runs and this behaviour is consistent with every other server running the default TTT gamemode. I'm sorry if you feel like this puts a damper on your experience here but we don't have the resources to remake the entire game from the ground up, and Valve certainly isn't going to do so for a 15 year old game.

lunavis

actual gamer girl
Developer
Donator
In terms of the entire engine and gameplay there is 0 difference between playing on our servers, and loading up a single player game, spawning a bunch of bots, switching the gamemode to terrortown, and shooting at them. Hitreg honestly just feels terrible in any game running the same branch of the Source SDK as Garry's Mod.
Also remember that all blood patterns are registered client-side, while all actual props and damage are registered server-side. That means that especially if you do not have a strong connection, you are going to see a LOT of 'that hit on my screen' moments, but even with a fairly strong connection you will still see them occasionally. Even a twentieth of a second can easily be the difference between a shot that connected on your screen, vs one that actually happened on the server.
This, again, is entirely within the engine that Garry's Mod runs and this behaviour is consistent with every other server running the default TTT gamemode.
These 3 quotes summarize my overall response to this thread, Cameron added in an addon to assist in fixing this issue but that won't guarantee these things be fixed. I can say for certain all of our serverside code will not cause something like this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.