What's new

Game of Thrones: The Final Season Discussion Thread (AGAIN!!!)

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
Old thread deleted because of forums rollback (Sorry Sunshoes). All thoughts and discussions about the final season of Game of Thrones go here. Be warned, SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

So this most recent episode was weird for me. There were some really good moments and some moments where I kinda cringed a bit. Overall, I think they did a solid job trying to portray how everyone reacts differently the day before war. For the second straight week, a moment took me completely by surprise. You know what scene I am talking about. I'm not like everyone else on the internet where I thought it was weird and controversial. The actress who plays Arya is of age after all. It was more uncomfortable for me simply because it was like a watching your daughter grow up scenario. Anyways....other points I want to make:

- Song in the end was fantastic. Panning to each character, I truly felt like this was the first time we were in the endgame. Next week is gonna be a blood bath, I am not prepared

- Sticking to what will happen next episode, here is my list of predicted characters who may meet their demise: Jorah, Bran, Tormund, Grey Worm, Theon, Davos, Belric

- Anyone notice how they kept emphasizing how the crypts are the safest place? Did Jon forget about Hardhome? I think the Night King is gonna bring some former family members back from the dead...and anyone in the crypt won't be safe after all.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
Btw if you are discussing stuff from promos or Next Episode Previews or stuff like that spoiler tags would be greatly appreciated. :giggle:

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
I'm going to spoiler this for the people who sort by latest activity, because the episode just ended and all.

That might have been some of the most terrifying TV I've seen. The dothraki absolutely getting fucked without us seeing a thing. The army of the dead just PILING onto the unsullied. Lady Mormont almost getting her fucking head bit off by a giant. I don't hate Cersei being the big bad, I assume the series is going for a people are worse than monsters vibe, so it makes sense. At the same time, all this build up over so many years just made the Night Kings death fall a little flat for me. I don't mind Arya killing him though, but I can't help but laugh at how he went out. I guess it makes sense in a way, every scene we see him in he's showing off and pretty much taking a "come at me approach." His hubris killed him, and also his slow as fuck walk to Bran. Also, some very heavy plot armor for some folks. Sam was like being crush by Wights when we last saw him and he made it out? I feel like they could have added some more character deaths just to make the episode hit a bit more.

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
Oh yeah

Theon deserves a big round of applause. His character arc was amazing. Alfie Allen is an amazing actor.

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
Alright people are actually replying so here’s my input. The episode, especially the visuals and the music, was fantastic. I’m not surprised the white walkers were wiped out, but I am a little disappointed. I understand GOT has always been about the families, the politics, the strategies, and the betrayals, but it’s still a let down for a threat that has been looming since the very beginning to not be the big bad in the end. Some additional thoughts:

- Amount of death was definitely underwhelming. I’m not saying there needs to be a red wedding amount of death, but coming in I expected many expendable characters to meet their demise.

- So many characters now I have no idea what role they will play for the remaining episodes. Bran, Sam, among others, what will their role be? Seems to me that a lot of people will just be sitting in the background.

- What fucking army are Jon and Dany gonna fight with to take down Cersei? The reason I thought the white walkers would not be taken down this episode is simply because there is no way they can fight two wars with the same army. They took down the white walkers, but it took losing most of their army to do so. How the hell are they going to fight for the throne?

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
This season could have been done a lot better with more episodes IMO. Everything just feels so crammed together. Felt like a few more episodes that maybe dug into some WW motives or at least gave the Night King some semblance of a character would have made this whole thing a lot more fulfilling.

Tyber

Princess
Community Mod
Veteran
Donator
I think we are forgetting a few expendable characters did die like everyone surrounding the lord of light and a few others (although not too important.) I think a couple main guys shouldve been cut/killed but with 3 episodes remaining Im assuming we will soon see what the future holds.
Conspiracy Theories: Something tells me we might not be given a happy ending to the series but after the North completely being killed off I’d like to see who will support Jon or Daenerys’ side, and maybe we might see the return of a few forgotten areas such as Dorne to aid them since we haven’t heard much from them in quite a while.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
Imma break down a few specific things to comment on:

Deaths
You guys saying 'not enough people died' I sure hope you mean named characters because like, 200,000 people died. Yes the plot armour was pretty obnoxious (the courtyard with literally only named characters left standing as the standout '...seriously?' bit) but even with the Army of the Dead gone I'm still feeling pretty fucking defeated. The Dothraki Horde, the Unsullied, the Knights of the Vale, and most of the fucking North, were obliterated in 82 minutes.

The Horror
So one of the most present things for me throughout most of the episode was the sheer feeling of terror. Whether they were innocent children, seasoned warriors, ruthless Dothraki Bloodriders, stalwart Unsullied, or regular Joe Northman, it was plainly evident that every single character here was facing death, and they knew it. Even the victories felt hollow and in the end it is hard to even consider this entire battle a victory for the living. The Night King is vanquished, but Winterfell is almost entirely just a pile of corpses now.

Score
Exceptional. Really a phenomenal score throughout the entire episode. Was a huge factor for the aforementioned horror, but the score honestly had me so emotional I was on the verge of tears. Not much more to say.

Lighting
Mentioning this because it's the biggest complaint I'm seeing online. Yes it was really difficult to see, between the darkness of night and the blizzard, but I felt like it very much added to the feeling of impending doom. The terror of night has always been a recurring theme throughout Game of Thrones and now that that terror is on our doorstep it should damn well feel like it. People have fair complaints about the episode but I did not think this was one.

Jon
I have to say I feel so blueballed by Jon not getting his showdown with the Night King. Yes it was an awesome scene when the Night King made himself a new army just to show off but this is Jon's 4th battle being hopelessly defeated, 3 of which have suddenly been won for his side because of someone else's actions. Jon is the primary 'hero' of the story and yet outside of making difficult decisions and inspiring speeches he never gets his moment. And now his ultimate rival is defeated. He could have at least got the opportunity to shove Longclaw into Viscerion's skull before he crumbled to dust, instead of just shouting at him.

The Night King
I really loved the Night King in this episode. It's amazing how a character with no dialogue and very little movement or outward emotion can emit so much personality. There were a lot of moments where we truly felt the arrogance of the Night King. Exceptionally portrayed. Just sad to see him gone so suddenly.

Lyanna Mormont
I feel really sad that I would never recommend that a child watch Game of Thrones because man there are just so many exceptional role models for young girls. What a badass. I guarantee they thought about having a character have to fight undead Lyanna but decided against it.

What Comes Next
Obviously the biggest thing on everyone's mind right now is like...what now? The Army of the Dead has always been the impeding doom that has been slowly approaching for the last 9 (23 if you read the books) years and now it's just gone with more than half the season still to go. Ceresi seems like such a fool at the end of Season 7 because she demonstrated a lack of forward thinking by treating the threat to the North so minimally. And yet she turned out to be completely right and seems like a tactical genius. Ceresi has long been the primary antagonist, but the Night King always seemed like the penultimate antagonist. But with 3 extra-length episodes still left to go it's hard to say. When the downfall of the ENTIRE ARMY OF THE DEAD fits into 1 episode the idea of spreading the Iron Throne conflict into 3 seems odd. But just as Ceresi looks like a stable genius because her plan paid off, so too many the writers if they pull off this ending. I have ALWAYS been afraid for the ending of Game of Thrones because to me Game of Thrones has always been about the journey and not about the destination, and concluding the show more than anything else has the potential to not live up to that. But we can only wait and see. I'm no less excited for next week than I was for this week, and I expect I will continue to cry at the very fact that it is ending.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
Also having watched the new Attack on Titan episode immediately afterwards I can conclude with certainty that Arya is, indeed, an anime character.

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
A day later and I am still bothered by the white walkers being wiped out. They were supposed to be the biggest threat that anyone has ever seen. Only the North really truly got to see them in full force. All the build up just for them to be wiped out in one episode. I don’t know maybe it’s just me, but I feel like the rest of the story would be more interesting if the battle of winterfell was lost and the war with the whites was taken down to Kings Landing.

We never got Jon versus the Night King, which to me was probably the most disappointing part of the episode. I don’t care that Arya was the one to kill him, but I at least wanted that moment first.

The way the writing has been after season 4 makes me think that everything that is about to happen will be very “safe” in regards to the main characters. For example, everyone knew The Knights of the Vale we’re going to help save Jon last seconds to win the battle of the bastards. With the Battle of Winterfell, once again everyone was saved by some last second heroics. With these examples in mind, I can’t see D&D pulling any plot twists when it comes to the Throne. Jon and Dany will win and will probably rule together as mentioned in episode 1. I will admit I’m wrong if things are done differently, but as I mentioned, the writing for the last few seasons hasn’t shown me anything that will prove otherwise.

Let me know what you guys think.

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
Oh shit here we go again. An alright episode, I liked the second half a lot better than the first. Beginning of this episode was plenty of comedic relief, not sure I was a fan of that. Next week is obviously gonna be a huge war and it looks like Kings Landing is gonna get fucked (I don’t watch previews btw). Time to get our character death bingo boards back out. Other points I would like to emphasize:

- Cersei wanted Bronn to kill Tyrion and Jaime, she absolutely has the chance to kill Tyrion here and she doesn’t do it. Not exactly sure why this scenario keeps getting brought up when we know it isn’t going to happen.

- Speaking of Jaime, talk about regression in character development. Right back to his old self. I think this is temporary though, I can imagine him killing Cersei after failing to get her to surrender when King’s Landing gets grounded and to save what’s left of it and it’s people (King slayer/Queen slayer anyone?).

-CleganeBowl is happening next episode. I mean come on, could you imagine them not having it happen?

-If the war is happening next episode, what the hell is the series finale gonna be? And how is Arya gonna play a role in this? I swear to god if she takes someone’s face and kills Cersei as well as the Night King I’ll be pissed.

-Viginity lost count this season: 2

Last edited:

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
- Cersei wanted Bronn to kill Tyrion and Jamie, she absolutely has the chance to kill Tyrion here and she doesn’t do it.
Qyburn would have been killed as well. That's why equally important officers are sent to parlay. There's no room for betrayal or both lives are forfeit. Plus it likely would have result in a battle right there and Ceresi's own life is far more important to her than revenge. It also removes any resemblance of good faith from any future negotiations. Killing someone during parlay is even worse than blatantly going back on her word like she did before.

I enjoyed this episode throughout, the cutaway when the Starks were in the Godswood was kind of annoyingly timed but I liked the episode. The people complaining on social media blow me away; people act like they have never seen an episode of Game of Thrones before. The single biggest thing everyone is bitching about is things happening off screen. Which is maybe the dumbest complaint I have ever heard because

1. Is this their first time watching Game of Thrones??? Most of the events of the first few seasons happen off screen lmao. The fucking King dies off screen. Hell, most of the events at the Red Wedding happen off screen. What a dumb fucking thing to complain about 8 seasons in. I would argue that the writing in Game of Thrones got worse over the years as they attempted to show more and more things happening on screen instead of focusing on the story they were trying to tell, and instead show as many 'oh shit' moments as possible.

2. People massively complaining about Bran telling his sisters and Sansa telling Tyrion about Jon happening off screen. This is information we have seen on screen 5 fucking times already, do we need to hear the same thing repeatedly just because it's important? No. Not repeating information every time characters share it for the audience's sake is day 1 writing.

People are literally comparing this to The Last Jedi. I am an overly critical and analytical person who will nitpick every little thing I don't like about a show and I can say with confidence that people are being complete buffoons about this. I am still worried about the ending not living up to the journey like I talked about last post but that's not going to change until we actually see the ending.

Sansa being so dislikable lately though. She literally opens this episode talking about how she's not the same person because of her experiences and yet she has regressed into the immature child she used to be.

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
Qyburn would have been killed as well. That's why equally important officers are sent to parlay. There's no room for betrayal or both lives are forfeit. Plus it likely would have result in a battle right there and Ceresi's own life is far more important to her than revenge. It also removes any resemblance of good faith from any future negotiations. Killing someone during parlay is even worse than blatantly going back on her word like she did before.

I enjoyed this episode throughout, the cutaway when the Starks were in the Godswood was kind of annoyingly timed but I liked the episode. The people complaining on social media blow me away; people act like they have never seen an episode of Game of Thrones before. The single biggest thing everyone is bitching about is things happening off screen. Which is maybe the dumbest complaint I have ever heard because

1. Is this their first time watching Game of Thrones??? Most of the events of the first few seasons happen off screen lmao. The fucking King dies off screen. Hell, most of the events at the Red Wedding happen off screen. What a dumb fucking thing to complain about 8 seasons in. I would argue that the writing in Game of Thrones got worse over the years as they attempted to show more and more things happening on screen instead of focusing on the story they were trying to tell, and instead show as many 'oh shit' moments as possible.

2. People massively complaining about Bran telling his sisters and Sansa telling Tyrion about Jon happening off screen. This is information we have seen on screen 5 fucking times already, do we need to hear the same thing repeatedly just because it's important? No. Not repeating information every time characters share it for the audience's sake is day 1 writing.

People are literally comparing this to The Last Jedi. I am an overly critical and analytical person who will nitpick every little thing I don't like about a show and I can say with confidence that people are being complete buffoons about this. I am still worried about the ending not living up to the journey like I talked about last post but that's not going to change until we actually see the ending.

Sansa being so dislikable lately though. She literally opens this episode talking about how she's not the same person because of her experiences and yet she has regressed into the immature child she used to be.
The fans are REALLY pissing me off lately. I’ve had my fair share of criticisms as well, but I still appreciate everything going on and the episodes are still very high quality. The ending is gonna be a nightmare when it comes to fans, thank god D&D were smart and are gonna go on vacation before the last episode airs. The way the fans are acting now, the end of this series that made D&D’s careers could become hell for them. I certainly hope that doesn’t happen.

Tyber

Princess
Community Mod
Veteran
Donator
You wait 1 1/2 years to make quality episodes and everyone spits in your face

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
I liked it. I've got some problems with it, but overall it was cool.

I really enjoyed the first part of the episode. It's just nice to see interactions between these characters I've grown to love. Sansa and The Hound interacting again was awesome. This path they're going down with Dany is a great way to make the Kings Landing stuff more interesting.

On the bad side, show Euron suckssssss. In the books he's this absolute terrifying character, in the show he's just a goofball. Rhaegal going out like that was very disappointing, I was hoping him and Jon could have some more moments.

Overall I feel like the season has been a tad worse than even season 7, but I don't think it's been bad.

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
The fans are REALLY pissing me off lately. I’ve had my fair share of criticisms as well, but I still appreciate everything going on and the episodes are still very high quality. The ending is gonna be a nightmare when it comes to fans, thank god D&D were smart and are gonna go on vacation before the last episode airs. The way the fans are acting now, the end of this series that made D&D’s careers could become hell for them. I certainly hope that doesn’t happen.
The book readers are AWFUL. They put GRRM on this giant pedestal and just say some terrible things about D&D. Which is funny, considering GRRM had 8 YEARS to release new books and there is still no release in sight for TWOW, much less ADOS. Like, the guy's story is so hard to wrap up that even he can't give it up a proper ending.