What's new

Mafia Role Design Contest!

Karmic Justice

Eternal Judicator of BT
Scooper
Donator
Role: Copycat

Alignment: Third-Party (Friendly to town)
Description (flavor text): You don't have a creative thought in your head, but yet you wound up in this back and forth of mafia vs town. To keep yourself alive, you do what you can to keep a low profile, and just parrot talking points.

Description (Mechanical) - A player that is the copycat can only reuse exact sentences used by other players that day. Additionally, they must make at least 3 posts each day with a total of 6 reused sentences, or else they die the following night. At any time a player can accuse a player of the copycat by typing "copycat: Classix" in your private PM thread. Be warned, though, for if you guess wrong, you immediately die. First player to guess correctly, and the copycat is forced into a villager role if you are town-aligned, killed if you are Mafia-Aligned, or forced into a sidekick role if you are third-party.

BoxOfRocks

Is BoxOfRocks
Elite
Role: Copyright Man
Allignment: Mafia

-At night, can Copyright one person via Copyright: Playername.
-Copyrighting someone will restrict them from saying words you have already said.
-If they say a word you have said, you will fine them so hard that they are unable to keep their house.
-losing a house makes the afflicted stay with another person in their house.
-If the person who owns the house dies, the person who is in the house will die and vice versa.

Karmic Justice

Eternal Judicator of BT
Scooper
Donator
Role: Copycat

Alignment: Third-Party (Friendly to town)
Description (flavor text): You don't have a creative thought in your head, but yet you wound up in this back and forth of mafia vs town. To keep yourself alive, you do what you can to keep a low profile, and just parrot talking points.

Description (Mechanical) - A player that is the copycat can only reuse exact sentences used by other players that day. Additionally, they must make at least 3 posts each day with a total of 6 reused sentences, or else they die the following night. At any time a player can accuse a player of the copycat by typing "copycat: Classix" in your private PM thread. Be warned, though, for if you guess wrong, you immediately die. First player to guess correctly, and the copycat is forced into a villager role if you are town-aligned, killed if you are Mafia-Aligned, or forced into a sidekick role if you are third-party.
Oh, I forgot to mention: the Copycat wins if he hasn't been discovered by the end of the game, and gets a soft-win if the team it is forced onto wins.

Classix

:thinking:
Elite
Role name:
Cardi

Allegiance:
Mafia

Description:

At night, Cardi can manipulate another player to spend time with her.
During the night, she drugs the player that spends time with her. The drugged player will feel so faded they won't show up for the town meeting the following day.
This means the drugged player can NOT vote or post the following day.
She can only perform this action ONCE.
If she does drug a player, her role will be revealed the following day.

Example of action:

Drug: Trundler
Can only be used at night.

SpytheMedic

Neither a Medic nor a Spy
Elite
Donator
Role: Jerk
Alignment- Third Party

Role Description- You've been an alcoholic for years, and you've just had it with your neighbors. In a drunken rage, you decide to give them a piece of your mind...

Role Mechanics-
  • Every night, you randomly visit someone's house.
  • You get in a fist fight with the resident of that house
  • X% chance that the victim is knocked unconscious during the attack
  • X% chance takes an item belonging to the victim
Victim (not a role)-
  • If victim is unconscious, they will be unable to perform their night action and unable to participate in discussion during the first half of the next day
    • If Town-aligned role visits the victims home, they have the option to dial Emergency Services to get the victim to the hospital
    • Victim has X% chance of doing the following while unconscious:
      • Dying
        • If doctor was role who found victim, they will not die
      • remembering who attacked them
  • If victim is not knocked unconscious, they will know who attacked them and what they stole
Win Condition- Successfully performs one of his actions against players (knocks 2 players unconscious and stole 1 item, for example)
Can never have been jailed.

sunshoes

Sorry but no.
Scooper
Donator
Oh I'm really sorry! Some unexpected stuff came up today and I forgot to post haha.

There were a lot of awesome and creative ideas. Some probably too creative for a simple game of Mafia. But even some that might not result in the best gameplay experience were incredibly thematically creative and gave me a chuckle. I was really happy to see people come up with an idea and have fun with it. I was going to list the ones that made me chuckle but honestly it was most of them. And while I think many wouldn't fit into a game so many are just on point thematically. Especially Box and Spy - you guys came up with these wild ideas that I don't think would ever work in an actual game but man they are funny.

First, a couple honourable mentions:

Karmic's Rat - I generally find 'imposter' roles (non-Mafia attending the Mafia Meeting) somewhat obnoxious to play with but simply receiving a random snippet from the Mafia Meeting is interesting. Its existence would require the Mafia to be careful what they say while still being able to attend their meeting. It could even very deliberately be played around by being disingenuous with how they speak in order to feed the Rat false information. I'm not so sure if the way it's described is the best way to go about it but there is definitely a great idea here. One thing I have struggled with is if, in a Closed or Semi-Closed setup, the Mafia should know there is a Rat in the game. Closed setups are where the Rat would excel most, since they can catch the Mafia off guard. On the other hand, having your game ruined so simply has some real anti-fun potential. Thematically, it's pretty solid as well. I imagine a low-level member of the Mafia informing on them, but the Rat isn't nearly high-ranking enough to attend any of the important meetings. Instead, they are digging through the trash gathering any info they can.
Karmic's Censor - This is actually already a pretty common Mafia role, usually called Silencer. It's one I considered adding to the Role Compendium before but didn't mainly for the reason that it tends to be not all that fun in faster games, and I imagine it would be even more frustrating being unable to post anything for up to 97 hours. It tends to be a very disruptive role and I've seen it balanced in different ways, such as not attending the Mafia Meeting, or being limited in the number of times they may use their power each game. Thematically, not so sure Censor is on point for the role itself.
Microsoft's Coroner - Really interesting idea; an unreliable, retroactive Watcher. The fact that it lists a visitor and not necessarily the killer is fantastic role design as it leaves lots of room for false claims and argument from any Mafia who has been caught by the Coroner. It's a little convoluted for an investigative role but it's still incredibly interesting. Thematically on point as well; an autopsy can tell you a lot but it's not a crystal ball that magically points the finger at the murderer. The big misstep here is the Fabricator interaction; if there were other 'information forging' roles in play it would possibly make sense to have this interaction but Fabricator is specifically a craftsman of fake items, not a forger.
Tyber's Executioner - Cool idea and once again very close to something I considered adding to the Role Compendium already. Having it be a Day action to throw up a second lynching is interesting; what I had in mind was a Night action that allows a second lynching the following Day. Yours might be better. Thematically, I don't see how an Executioner is riling up a Town encouraging them to lynch people. Perhaps Rioter or Agitator or something along those lines would fit better. I'm not so sure I understand the Governor interaction; why would the Town be able to be influenced to change their mind on the first lynching but not the second? I think perhaps the answer to both of these issues would be is if the Town can only lynch a second time if they lynched a townsperson the first time and are now furious about it. Perhaps even revealing the person who dared to overturn their vote the first time, if there was one.
Classix' Saboteur - Cool idea. Very potentially powerful role, but the drawbacks seem EXTREME. Being completely disconnected from the Mafia already leaves anyone as risk, but having them not even known to the Mafia makes it likely that they end up a target of either the Mafia's Night Kill, or even just thrown under the bus as part of the Mafia's usual machinations. Thematically VERY cool, I love the idea of actually preventing the Town from lynching by destroying the gallows. Much more elegant than other lynch-preventing roles I have seen done before.
Classix' Ressurector - You know, when I added Necromancer I was also going to add a Town-sided version but felt that it was simply far too powerful. I think you solved my problem, excellent idea for a drawback. I might even throw this drawback on Necromancer, that's really cool.

And finally, the winner:
Tori's Politician - Okay, so I had already thought before about adding a 'votes are worth double' role before, but the biggest problem is that some people seem to get...very easily confused. I do get a lot of questions during every Mafia game: 'What does my role do?' 'Why did someone different get lynched than we voted for?' 'How did someone survive my gunshot?' 'What happened to X player?' 'We voted to kill someone and they didn't die you made a mistake!' I could only imagine the cries of 'You counted the votes wrong, such and such should have been lynched instead!'

Influencing another player's vote is an immensely simpler solution as people can very plainly look at the disconnect between someone's current vote and who they voted for at the end of the Day. I can even come up with so many other new roles in my head that would have fantastic interactions with the politician. I was honestly quite taken aback when I read the post because it was so simple and yet creative. It's exactly the kind of role I usually come up with and that got me really excited. Coming up with Day Actions for Mafia roles is also quite difficult without being overpowered but I think this is on point. It's a role that can swing a game, and yet it doesn't break the game or make it feel unfair.

Thematically, it's completely on point. It's a sleazy politician using their influence to swing a vote. It's not the flashiest idea but it still fits great into the theme of the game itself. Any role which you could guess what it does based on the name alone is a thematically well made role and I think that is the case here.

Congratulations to the winner and a big thanks to everyone who participated! A lot of your ideas were really fun and I'm really glad people felt inspired to make them. I'll definitely do another one of these in the near future, although 2 big things that I think I will do differently is 1) likely only having it run for 2 weeks and 2) having a theme for people to design around, as I believe in a lot of ways trying to make an idea work can often inspire even more creativity than trying to create from scratch. As much as I enjoyed reading some of the whacky creations I did feel bad reading some of them knowing they were a little too wild to fit into an actual game.

As promised the winning role will be implemented into Forum Mafia so look out for a wild new setup after the current game ends!