What's new

[SPOILERS] Avengers: Endgame Discussion

monkeymacman

The First Monkey
Elite
So, I know normally other people do these but dammit I wanna discuss now, so, here we go!

SPOILERS (Obviously):
The beginning totally threw me off guard. Wasn't quite expecting all the time jumps and how fast everything went. I feel like the first 30 minutes or so could be enough content that they rushed through that it could have filled a movie of its own (but I'm glad they didn't). Thanos dying so soon was a surprise to me and I was absolutely not expecting the chain of events that brought him back later.

Let's cover everyone who has stayed (or became) dead from the events of Infinity War and End Game:
1. Loki - Not too surprising. He was a good character but had not much more to offer
2. Gamora - A bit unclear if past Gamora remains in the present. AFAIK they never explicitly showed her fate. She feels like a vital member of the Guardians who still deserved to stick around longer, but I didn't expect her to come back due to the nature of the soul stone
3. Black Widow - I'll be honest, I don't know much about her. But her death was satisfying enough.
4. Iron Man - didn't know what to expect. He's always been such a great character but I feared he may be overplayed. Since they did kill him, I think they did it at a very satisfying time.
5. Captain America - First of all, he finally picked up the hammer, something we'd been expecting. That was the culmination of proof of him being at his best in this movie, and I believe he had nothing further to add to the series after this movie. I'm glad he died, but the way they did it seemed forced and unnecessary.
Oh, also
6: Vision - Fair enough. They could remake him if they wanted I'm sure, but maybe harder without Tony around. He always was a pretty lackluster character in terms of development in my opinion but he was cool. I'm fine with him staying dead.
Did I miss any?

I'll hold any more of my thoughts until later, don't wanna flood this too quickly. To those of you who have seen End Game, what did you think of it? Please, discuss.

Last edited:

COOL DOOD D0NGUS

Why am I still here? Just to suffer?
Veteran
Dude, I did not think Thanos would be killed so quickly in the beginning. Big F in chat for Iron man. Also god damn when Cap was using the hammer, OOOO.

Putin

Legendary
Donator
Wow. okay so that was wild.
first of all let's get to the deaths

Thanos dying so early threw me way off guard until I remembered time travel. Also marvel had released an image of thanos with his armor and that big blade and I had already kind of figured they would be encountering past Thanos, but thor chopping his arm off was surprising but then slicing off his head was definitely a jaw drop moment for the whole theater. I thought for sure some reality stone trickery was going on. Warrior Thanos was way cool. So glad we got to see this side of him and I really like how different he is between IW and EG. I think Thanos is one of the most interesting bad guys in recent years and honestly just in general. They did such a good job with him and his ending was satisfying.

Ever since civil war i've hated captain america. this movie redeemed him for me. Him wielding Mjolnir was just about the coolest shit i've seen in a movie, him sticking around in 1940 to be with Peggy, while I'm sure will be pretty divisive for a lot of fans, felt like a really nice send off for him, even if it did come a bit out of the blue. Him in the elavator with the same goons from civil war but then using brains rather than brawn was a good way to show how far his character has progressed since then, and the "cap saying hail hydra" easter egg was a nice touch and really clever.

Black Widow has kind of been a boring character but its gonna suck to not have her around anymore

I'm team Iron Man all the way and have been preparing for tony to die for a while now but even still watching it sucked so bad. I found it interesting Peter Parker still kind of gets an on-screen Uncle Ben moment.

On to just some random thoughts. This is mostly what I liked about the movie and what stood out:

Holy shit this movie was funny. I don't think anyone expected professor hulk to be such a laugh and just the first half or so of the movie had a lot of really good laughs. It threw me off guard honestly, I was expecting something a lot more somber. In fact i was expecting a much different movie from the one we got in a lot of ways. And in a lot of ways I love what the finished product turned out to be.

I kind of wished we had seen more of doctor strange. I guess he got his moment on Titan in infinity war, but I can't get enough of doctor strange, he's becoming one of my favorite new characters and definitely is one of the most powerful.

Thor was fucking weird and when I was watching it I was all like
But honestly it really fits the direction his character has been going and him joining the guardians is gonna be a whole lot of fun and I can't wait to see them interact more. Can't wait for Asgardians of the Galaxy.

I think they did a really good job of tying everything up. You don't get that enough these days because everything needs a sequel but this particular story is done now and we're on to the next chapter and I for one am very excited

I would have liked the inclusion of more of the cosmic stuff that is to come in the next phase supposedly. I was hoping the Living Tribunal would have some play in this movie or at least have a mention of him, or at least adam warlock. But I understand why they are leaving it for future movies.

All the fights were epic as fuck and its hard to choose favorite moments. I think we can all agree that the Big 3 vs Thanos is one of the best moments in movie history. So unimaginably cool and well done.

I really can't wait till it's out on digital so that I'll be able to watch infinity war and endgame back to back. I feel like that's the best way to watch these movies.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie and am very excited to see where things go from here. Sorry this wasn't formatted better right now im still in hype mode overdrive and its hard to get my thoughts together :) interested to see what people thought!

rkelly828

The people's choice
Legendary
Hey a discussion thread where people are actually talking! Let’s gooooo.

Anyways, there’s nothing more I can really add, Putin hit the nail on the head with his post. That final battle was so fucking insane with all those characters on the big screen all at once. Everything about it was just amazing. I don’t think there will ever be a wrap up in cinema history that comes close to how perfectly Endgame wrapped up every storyline. Although Infinity War was a breath of fresh air when it came to a compelling enemy and a totally unexpected ending, Endgame is better in my eyes simply because of how well they handled time travel and all the nostalgia that came with it. Some scenes made me cheer, some made me laugh, and some hit me right in the feels. It’s gonna be hard, hell maybe even impossible for Marvel to top this. What a movie.

.....Also, I wasn’t a fan of Fat Thor or in between Banner/Hulk. To me, they did those characters dirty.

.....Also also, THEY BROUGHT BACK THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE MCU, KORG! LETS GOOOOOO!

Putin

Legendary
Donator
Also I’m at a total loss as to what the future holds for the avengers. Spoilers for captain marvel ahead but with the Skrull as friends and not enemies there’s really nothing that’s been introduced thus far that I can imagine being a main MCU villain.
Closest I can think of would be Adam Warlock who was sent after the guardians at the end of gotg 2 but it will remain to be seen if he is used just for gotg 3 or will play a more important role in the MCU.

Zaid_Zilla

Enforcing Equilibrium, once again
Manager - MCF
Veteran
5. Captain America - First of all, he finally picked up the hammer, something we'd been expecting. That was the culmination of proof of him being at his best in this movie, and I believe he had nothing further to add to the series after this movie. I'm glad he died, but the way they did it seemed forced and unnecessary.
He isn't dead, he's just an old man in the present world. I found it rather pleasing that he finally got to live out his life(and his date) that he missed out on while he was frozen.

Didn't care much for Black Widow since I didn't really find her that interesting but her death makes her role worth it, I guess.
Hawkeye finally got to redeem himself and I'm happy they gave him a major role.

Did you say Stark's death was at a satisfying time? I found it extremely sad considering he only just got to see Spiderman again after he died and now Stark's dead.

Overall... I liked how they finished off the storyline.

Last edited:

monkeymacman

The First Monkey
Elite
He isn't dead, he's just an old man in the present world. I found it rather pleasing that he finally got to live out his life(and his date) that he missed out on while he was frozen.

Didn't care much for Black Widow since I didn't really find her that interesting but her death makes her role worth it, I guess.
Hawkeye finally got to redeem himself and I'm happy they gave him a major role.

Did you say Stark's death was at a satisfying time? I found it extremely sad considering he only just got to see Spiderman again after he died and now Stark's dead.

Overall... I liked how they finished off the storyline.
Oh yeah you're absolutely right. I was very tired when writing this post and at first when I saw it I thought that he had timed it so that he would be right on the verge of death at the time that he was supposed to be back. But looking back at it now, I don't think that was the case. But either way, I think that's the last we'll be seeing of him, so it doesn't make much of a difference, and I think that it's just as impactful.

As for Stark, I think it was satisfying as it was right after he defeated Thanos. As Stark was the only one that he really viewed as equal and as a rival, it makes sense that for the story to be complete they should both have perished, and I think it was great development for him to sacrifice his life for something like that when the whole time he had been clear that no matter what happened he just wanted to have a life with his family. I absolutely do think it was very sad that he had just gotten back Spiderman, who was treated as a son to him, and that he could not fulfill his wish to stay with his family, however I think that's part of what made it so great. He finally got what he wanted, his family safe and those who died that he felt like he had a duty to protect, and though he couldn't live with these things he had gained, it did mean he could finally die in peace, knowing that it was truly over, and that he had done everything he wanted and saved the day.

Moglin

S.adMan
Legendary
Donator
I just can't believe Tony mistook Doctor Strange raising his finger to mean that this was the one where they would win and that he would have to do what he did. He was obviously pointing up meaning this was the time to send antman up Thanos' ass. Would have saved a lot of sadness if he realized that.

Maka

hey
Manager - TTT
I finally saw it!

Jesus Christ. I was losing my mind when all those characters started popping out of the portal. That scene would have been incredible in a cartoon, but this was in live action and it looked AMAZING. Jaw dropping man.

I just saw it not too long ago and I'm still processing my thoughts so I'm just going to list off all the things I thought were cool:

War Machine got some solid screen time! Always felt like he was a little shafted in the first 2 Avengers movies, so it's nice to see him play a pretty big part in this one.
Thanos dying was such a good twist and something I really didn't see coming. His death the second time was great too, with the whole turning into dust thing.
I thought Cap would die and Tony would retire, but it all turned out very different. Both characters got a really great sendoff though.
Hawkeye was awesome in this. Such a great sendoff after not being in IW.
Black Widow's death was really sad and another thing I completely did not see coming. I figured she'd be safe since she had a movie announced, but that must be a prequel.
Captain passing on his shield to Sam was cool. I love Falcon and I'm really looking forward to seeing him be the next Captain America. I'm surprised they didn't go with Bucky being the new one, but I like this even more.

There's like a ton more I could probably spend an hour listing off all the awesome stuff. I think the only thing I didn't like was Fat Thor. Thor 3 is my favorite MCU movie (or was, I guess) and seeing him all chunky was kind of lame. I assume it was too kinda nerf him so he wouldn't destroy no stone Thanos easily. On the topic of OP characters, they handle Captain Marvel's crazy power pretty well. Little sad we didn't get to see much of here, but the screentime she was in was good.

Moglin

S.adMan
Legendary
Donator
This movie was a perfect mix of depressing, serious and comedy. Seeing everything come together for this movie was everything I ever wanted.

Cool moments:
-Captain America and the hammer has to top the list. And it's not just that he lifted it and used it once, he fucking used that thing like an expert. My favourite part of it was him throwing the shield and then throwing the hammer to hit it causing the shockwave. It was a nice throwback to the first avengers.
-"Hail Hydra". Was expecting another elevator fight scene which would have been cool in itself but seeing him say that instead just took it to a whole other level. I know him saying it in the comics caused a lot of fans to be angry so it's great that they added it.
-Thanos being smart and using the power stone to overcome Captain Marvel.
-The portals opening and all the people coming through to fight Thanos. Insane to see everyone.
-Not really a cool moment but it was really funny: "That IS America's ass."

Deaths/Endings:
-Thanos. Was not expecting him to die so early and so quickly. Makes sense since his whole arc was finished.
-Black Widow. She seemed depressed throughout the movie so it wasn't too surprising that she was the one who sacrificed herself. I felt the scene went on too long with her and Clint going back and forth trying to die.
-Tony Stark. Saddest part of the movie but at least he made peace with everyone in his life. Ending it by saying the line that started this whole thing was perfect. It's really gonna suck not seeing him anymore.
-Steve Rogers. I'm not sure how I feel about this. He's been living his whole life putting others ahead of himself so I understand him getting his one selfish moment but at the same time I can't imagine how it would work. Captain America is frozen at this time so it's not like he'll be interacting with himself but unless he and Peggy can keep him a secret, I don't know how no one knows. And he knows things like Bucky being alive and him killing Tony's parents. Does he just not do anything because he knows everything works out? It really should have been an alternate timeline.

Meh moments:
-I was disappointed in the banner/hulk relationship. They were leading to something in Infinity War and seeing how it all comes together off camera was such a disappointment. A few funny moments but overall just wasn't what I wanted.
-Fat Thor was just yikes. I understand it him him the hard because he failed but I really thought they went too long with him being fat. When he held out his hand in Asgard I really thought there would be a lightning zap and he would be back to his old self or something that would change him back. Disappointed that the movie ended with him still fat.
-The 5 year gap didn't really come into play at the end. There must have been some ramifications to bringing everyone back. There's probably still so many people that are dead due to crashes and stuff. People probably moved on and now everyone is back causing problems there. I wish they had a bit of time to show what has happened after they all came back. I know the next Spiderman movie will be set right after this movie ended so I hope they show how life changed now that everyone is back.

So yeah, I liked this movie most out of all of them. They concluded the story arc nicely and left a few things that they can use for other storylines. Maybe the 3 snaps on the same planet is gonna be the cause of mutants? Who knows. I do have a bit of fatigue from the marvel movies so I'm not sure I'll be really excited for the future movies with new casts.

monkeymacman

The First Monkey
Elite
-Steve Rogers. I'm not sure how I feel about this. He's been living his whole life putting others ahead of himself so I understand him getting his one selfish moment but at the same time I can't imagine how it would work. Captain America is frozen at this time so it's not like he'll be interacting with himself but unless he and Peggy can keep him a secret, I don't know how no one knows. And he knows things like Bucky being alive and him killing Tony's parents. Does he just not do anything because he knows everything works out? It really should have been an alternate timeline.
I was also confused in that it seemed that the whole time the consensus was that "changing the past doesn't change the future" and that there were alternate realities/timelines, and that's what the Sorcerer Supreme was saying confirming. So I don't understand how, in that case, Cap was able to live into the same reality? the same timeline? Which would have meant that he *did* change the present/future and then with Peggy and whatever. Does it mean something, are we missing something, or was it an oversight? Maybe time travel didn't actually work how ANYBODY said it did (including the sorcerer supreme)? or maybe he, like, time traveled back after living a full life with her? but that couldn't have been the case because we didn't see him time travel back. I'm really confused.
I suppose the truth they're *expecting* us to believe is that maybe it potentially *did* create an alternate reality when he traveled back to the past, and we've actually been living in that reality the whole time? That after Cap went back in time, then the cap from THAT time still went through all the exact same events as him etc. and then eventually went back in time fulfilling the loop? I mean it seems like it would sort of nullify a lot of what we learned about time travel in that movie if that were the case, and seems unsatisfying, but I guess it makes a little bit of sense and is probably what they want us to think.

-I was disappointed in the banner/hulk relationship. They were leading to something in Infinity War and seeing how it all comes together off camera was such a disappointment. A few funny moments but overall just wasn't what I wanted.
It always seemed like it was in a position for the conflict between Banner/Hulk to get a whole movie about it, or at least to have been explained in one, but we didn't get that. With the time jump it seemed like it set up perfectly in place for a movie to be made taking place DURING the five year gap which explains the whole conflict and solution and everything, but we'd already know the ending and, as far as I know, there has not been any announced Hulk movies in the (near) future. Plus I thought the next Spiderman movie was supposed to be the official last one in "Phase Three" but that seems like it would also be part of it if it were made. I think they could have done more with it and maybe they still will, but there's also a potential that they had been intending on doing something with it but decided that the money just wasn't there.

I'd also like to say that, opinions on Gamer Thor aside, I sort of enjoyed the fact that the trailers kept his condition a secret by having him appear normal in them and being different in the actual movie scenes (e.g. the one with Captain Marvel and "I Like This One".)

Last edited:

Putin

Legendary
Donator
It always seemed like it was in a position for the conflict between Banner/Hulk to get a whole movie about it, or at least to have been explained in one, but we didn't get that
Rather than having a movie ruffalo worked with feige to have his arc just go throughout all the movies he was in. I’ll see if I can find the interview where mark said this if you care to see it I think they’re actually not allowed to make a hulk movie anymore due to licensing? But I may be making that up.

Moglin

S.adMan
Legendary
Donator
Rather than having a movie ruffalo worked with feige to have his arc just go throughout all the movies he was in. I’ll see if I can find the interview where mark said this if you care to see it I think they’re actually not allowed to make a hulk movie anymore due to licensing? But I may be making that up.
Yeah, Universal owns the rights to Hulk movies and they probably don't want to share it like Sony did with Spiderman. I think the deal they made was that Hulk can appear in Marvel movies but his name can't be in the title which means no solo hulk movie.

EDIT: I've been looking up interviews and it seems like there's a few reasons given for why there won't be a hulk standalone movie. From universal and marvel not getting along to them not wanting to try because the incredible hulk didn't make much money.

Last edited:

Classix

The Real Buff_Farmer_110
Elite
Guys this movie rocked my world. I’ll post more later, but anyone know what the sound was at the end of the credits?