What's new

Yeah! I make mediocre music now!

BoxOfRocks

Is BoxOfRocks
Elite
Don’t mind how terrible it is, I literally just got FL-Studio yesterday, and I’m only half way through my music theory course.
I like this one better than the next one, it’s called ‘it gets better’.

This one I could have sharpened up the Bass a bit, but who really cares. This one is ‘ocean of mystery’.
This one is also kinda eh, but its something. this one is 'thundersnow'
This next one was supposed to be a mixture of a bunch of different things. This one is "clash".
This next o- ERROR. ERROR. MUSIC NOT FOUND. -dont expect this to be what i usually make.
Everything was made by me, credit for the effects is in the description of the videos.

Last edited:

rax

hate to get political but what the fuck is oatmeal
Mod - TTT
The only thing I really have wrong with these are the drums sound a bit weird and the piano sounds too.. MIDI.. if you know what I mean. But other than that its actually really good.

Dawnbandit

Intelligent Idiot
Donator
The only thing I really have wrong with these are the drums sound a bit weird and the piano sounds too.. MIDI.. if you know what I mean. But other than that its actually really good.
FL Keys is really good, it comes with the Pro version of FL Studio, IIRC.

BoxOfRocks

Is BoxOfRocks
Elite
You guys seem to like em, so im gonna keep making them.
This one was one i forgot to post but set aside because i thought i could go for a more darker tone for this one. Resonate is the name.

I didnt think i achieved that darker tone, so i made this one to do just that. I also listened to what Rax said and tried to improve on the drums. Nightmare is the name.

(and yes parts of the piano and drums are supposed to sound messed up, its part of the tone.)
this one is the polar opposite of Nightmare.

this is also a song

Last edited:

DILF

Damn, I Love Fishing
Manager - TTT
Donator
try downloading some free sample packs. i have one called legowelt dx, which has a lot of good stuff. if you want a nice sounding electric piano try and find a rhodes pack.
as for your bass sounds, you may want to apply a filter cutoff to eliminate some of the high pitches in the instrument. i wouldn't know exactly how to do that with FLstudio, though, since i'm an ableton boy, but it should be fairly easy to google.
i think you have a pretty good knack for this. i'm sure as your theory course continues on, you will be able to experiment with a lot more stuff (harmonic rhythm comes to mind). i really like it though, and i'm interested in seeing more!

Dawnbandit

Intelligent Idiot
Donator
try downloading some free sample packs. i have one called legowelt dx, which has a lot of good stuff. if you want a nice sounding electric piano try and find a rhodes pack.
as for your bass sounds, you may want to apply a filter cutoff to eliminate some of the high pitches in the instrument. i wouldn't know exactly how to do that with FLstudio, though, since i'm an ableton boy, but it should be fairly easy to google.
i think you have a pretty good knack for this. i'm sure as your theory course continues on, you will be able to experiment with a lot more stuff (harmonic rhythm comes to mind). i really like it though, and i'm interested in seeing more!
Soundfonts are a good way to go as well.

DILF

Damn, I Love Fishing
Manager - TTT
Donator
i like it! listening to the first and most recent things you've posted, it's easy to see how much better you are at FLstudio. you can create MUCH more complex and interesting sounds, and you're using a lot more layers.
now for...? constructive criticism
when you're using a DAW, it is dangerously easy to fall into the trap of having the same chord progression and backing throughout the whole song (i know i do this a lot). megalovania has two sections with different chord progressions, but you just overlayed the melody from the B section onto the track. it's a cool effect, but it should at least lead into the B section with its different chords.
also, it feels like i'm building up to a bass drop the whole time, but you just layer more tension on top. specifically i think the violin loop starting at 0:14 causes a lot of this (the F# at the end of the loop wants to resolve, but since you just loop it seemingly forever, it doesn't really work. using that to lead up to heavy hits should work better)
combining these two suggestions is actually a perfect opportunity for a deceptive cadence (V-->VI instead of V-->i).
feel free to ask me questions